About this video
A short tutorial showing you how to come into Bharadvajasana I (Bharadvaja’s Twist Pose). This is an intermediate posture and the body should be fully warmed up before attempting this pose.
A less common seated twist, Bharadvajasana provides a fresh and unique twist. Legend has it that Bharadvaja spent his entire life studying Vedic texts, always striving to learn more before finally turning to teach the ways of life to the masses. Likewise, the delicate progression of the pose Bharadvajasana can teach us patience and dedication (both on and off the mat)!
- Stretches the spine, shoulders, and hips
- Massages the abdominal organs
- Relieves lower backache, neck pain, and sciatica
- Helps relieve stress
- Improves digestion
- Especially good in the second trimester of pregnancy for strengthening the lower back
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome
Bharadvajasana can place strain on the body, so proceed with caution if suffering from knee, hip, or spinal issues. In addition, practice mindfulness when entering, sustaining, and exiting both poses shown as the body is in a vulnerable position with the placement of the legs and the twisting element.
Props: a blanket and belt (optional)